Sunday, October 23, 2011

Nicki Minaj Cosmo Cover

Even though most of these blogs are more based media in the form of movies, television, and music, this one is based on something I came across a couple of days ago at a grocery store. Just like all grocery do, Albertson's displays magazines by their registers. Most of these are aimed at females for impulse purchases. Everything from People to Star. One of the mainstays at grocery store registers is Cosmopolitan magazine as well.

On this occasion, while waiting in line for the register, I noticed that the magazine slot slated for Cosmopolitan magazine had a black magazine divider, often used by places that sell adult magazines to keep the young ones from seeing the cover. On this divider there was a note that read, "If you would like to purchase Cosmo magazine, please ask your cashier."

Intrigued, I asked the cashier what the deal was. The cashier told me it was because of what Alberston's felt was a racier cover of Cosmo. I joked if it was one of the headlines that usually tells the reader how to have more fun in the bedroom or something to that extent. The cashier said it was of the outfit Nicki Minaj was wearing on the cover. They went on to say that they felt the outfit was too racy.

On my returning home later that night. I noticed my wife had an issue of Cosmo sitting on the kitchen table (as per her monthly magazine addiction). Looking at the cover, it was sort of a let down. I believe I have seen racier magazine covers before and not just on magazines like Maxim. Even other issues such as Cosmo have been racier in my opinion.

For a magazine to be banned from the lines at the register of a grocery store, I would have expected worse. As a teenager, I remember Madonna on a cover of a magazine, in a black leather bikini and pulling on a leash that was attached to a collar she was wearing. If this could be shown in line for a register, why would Minaj's cover be banned at Alberston's. Her outfit covers more than have the covers out there. So for your troubles in reading this post, here's a picture of the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment